My skin suffers through the winter months, what can I do to help my complexion?”
Chapped lips, rough hands, red cheeks. Winter plays havoc with your skin, but if you follow my easy steps to prepare your skin for winter, you will have glowing skin in no time……
- Before you go and pay a fortune for expensive products, or even worse a fortune on loads of cheap products that are bad for your skin go to a qualified beauty therapist and have a facial and skin analysis. This will let you know what kind of skin you have and you can find out which products are the best for your skin type. A good therapist will advise you on the best products and wont pressure you. Don’t be afraid to tell your therapist your budget so he/she can advise you on the best products that you can afford.
- Switch from a light lotion to a moisturising cream, which will provide your skin with more protection and don’t forget sunscreen, even during winter there are harmful rays flying around.
- Wear thick hand cream as well as wear gloves every day from Autumn till spring to prevent chapped skin. Don’t forget to massage some into nails or apply a separate cuticle oil.
**top tip** If skin is beyond repair with just a cream, why not treat yourself to a manicure with a parafin wax treatment. This is personally one of my favourite treatments and leaves your skin feeling as soft as a babies’ butt and also soothes aches and pains, the warmth leaves this beautiful relaxed feeling to the full body which stays there even after the treatment.
- To rejuvenate and repair the skin on your face apply a masque once every 2 weeks and for added radiance apply a serum to your moisturiser or to your foundation.
- Drink plenty of water. 44% of your skin is made up of water, so its not rocket science to know that drinking plenty will keep your skin looking great. All you need now is the will power to drink it, why, oh why is it so difficult to drink the amount you need??
- Dont forget your lips during winter, make sure you apply a lip balm throughout the day as well as a SPF Factor for protection.
- Ditch soaking in a hot bath, even though its tempting on those cold, wet nights. This only strips the moisture from the skin.
- When buying products please check the ingredients – I know I bang on about this – but I cannot stress enough about the cheap ingredients in products. Look out for sodium laureth sulphate and sodium lauryl sulphate (SLES/SLS) which actually is a POISON and is used to scrape barnacles off the underside of boats, which can cause skin irritation and hair loss. Also to be avoided is mineral oil which is a by product of the distillation of GASOLINE. This is actually and key ingredient in baby wash and other baby products. Another harmful ingredient which is used commonly in shampoos and lotions is DEA. This chemical isn’t harmful on its own, however when it is sitting on shelves or at home it can react with other chemicals in the formula to produce NDEA which can easily be absorbed through the skin and has been linked to stomach and bladder Cancers. I honestly could go on all day about this. I will possibly do a full article on chemicals in cosmetic products, just watch this space….
I hope this helps you with looking after your skin through the winter months, thank you for visiting my little world, please leave a comment.
“Be your own kind of beautiful”